Below-zero temps are expected to hit large swaths of the country this holiday season. If you're not used to temperatures that cold, here's what you need to do to make sure your yard is ready for it.
- Cover the base of larger plants with a thick layer of mulch or straw to protect them from frost.
- Cover landscape ornamentals with burlap, old sheets, a blanket or plastic sheeting for extra protection
- Bring in any potted plants that can’t withstand cold temperatures.
- Wrap exposed pipes with insulation to prevent them from freezing.
- Make sure your outdoor faucets are drained to avoid the risk of pipes bursting.
- Consider setting up a windbreak to protect your yard from wind and snow.
- Consider bringing your mower and other outdoor equipment into your garage so that engine fluids don't freeze.
- As always, if you're unsure about a particular plant, reach out to your local extension office for advice.
Hopefully, these tips help you keep your yard healthy and happy during the deep freeze. Good luck and Happy Holidays!